Philadelphia 76ers Links of Interest
Philadelphia 76ers Official Homepage – The Official NBA.com Page for the Philadelphia 76ers
Quick searches for Philadelphia 76ers on Fantasy Basketball Guy.
Philadelphia 76ers News
- Scott takes on big challenge as Lakers coach (The SportsXchange) July 30, 2014The stars were aligned Tuesday morning at Los Angeles Lakers headquarters. With the Lakers formally introducing Byron Scott as their new head coach, Johnson, who frequently clashed the past few years with Lakers brass, couldn't contain his giddiness. "I'm so happy because Coach Scott is a very disciplined man and he's going to instill that in this team," said Johnson, who sat front row with former Lakers giants Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Jamaal Wilkes. Those were foreign concepts under the most recent Lakers coach, offensive-minded Mike D'Antoni.
- Grizzlies sign GM Chris Wallace to multi-year deal (The Associated Press) July 29, 2014Grizzlies controlling owner Robert Pera has removed the interim tag and named Chris Wallace as Memphis' general manager, signing him to a multi-year contract keeping him with the franchise. Wallace had been serving as interim general manager since a front office shake-up May 19. ''Chris has been at the forefront and a stable presence throughout some of the Grizzlies' greatest successes,'' Pera said in a statement. ''His strong bonds and experience, not only within the organization and NBA but also within the Memphis and Mid-South communities, make him the ideal fit to lead our basketball operations.
- Grizzlies appoint Wallace, Stefanski to front office roles (The SportsXchange) July 29, 2014Chris Wallace was named general manager of the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday after assuming the title on an interim basis in May. Owner Robert Pera announced that Wallace signed a multiyear contract, but exact terms and financial details were not provided by the team. The Grizzlies also hired Ed Stefanski to become executive vice president of player personnel. Stefanski will serve under Wallace and oversee player personnel and scouting.
- Charles Barkley offers to pay for funerals of three children killed in alleged Philadelphia carjacking (Ball Don't Lie) July 29, 2014Former Philadelphia 76ers great and TNT NBA commentator Charles Barkley has offered to pay for the funerals of three children killed in an automobile accident following an alleged sexual assault and carjacking in North Philadelphia last week. The children — Keiearra Williams, 15; Thomas Joseph Reed, 10; and Terrence Moore, 7 — were struck and killed on the morning of July 25 by a Toyota 4Runner that "lurched out of control and into a family selling fruit at Allegheny and Germantown Avenues," according to Aubrey Whelan and Mike Newall of the Philadelphia Inquirer . Their mother, Keisha Williams, 34, was also injured, and remained hospitalized in critical condition as of Monday night. The car belonged to a female real estate agent (whom multiple media outlets have declined to identify, citing the sensitive nature of the crime) who had allegedly been "carjacked [and] forced to perform oral sex on [two] men after they forced their way into her car," taking $3,000 from the woman in the process. Shortly thereafter, "the car went out of control, blew a tire, and careened into Williams and her children, who had been selling fruit to raise money for a neighborhood playground, police said." The real estate agent, 45, suffered broken ribs, cuts and bruises in the crash, and remained hospitalized in stable condition on Monday, while another woman — 69-year-old Thelma Brown — who had been working with Williams and her family at the church-run fruit stand remained hospitalized after suffering a broken ankle and bruised sternum. After a weekend of searching for the two suspects, Philadelphia law enforcement officials announced Monday that "the city has charged Jonathan Rosa, 19, and Cornelius Crawford, 23, each with three counts of second-degree murder and additional counts of robbery, sexual assault, kidnapping, and carjacking," and will seek "mandatory life sentences" against both of them, according to Victor Fiorillo of Philadelphia magazine . U.S. Marshals and homicide detectives captured Crawford on Sunday night, while Rosa "surrendered to authorities [Sunday] alongside his mother and a pastor," according to David Gambacorta and Dylan Segelbaum of the Philadelphia Daily News . Rosa and Crawford were arraigned early Tuesday morning and ordered held without bail, according to the Inquirer . The tragic nature of a senseless, reckless incident that claimed three young lives has led to a national outpouring of support and, in this case, an offer of aid from Barkley, who spent the first eight years of his Hall of Fame NBA career with the 76ers and still maintains ties to the city. "Like most Philadelphians, many Americans, and people across the world that heard about this and were moved, [Barkley] wanted me to know that he wanted to pay for the funeral for these three children, and I put him in touch with the family so he can do that," District Attorney Seth Williams said during a Monday press conference, according to Brian X. McCrone of Philly.com . Barkley confirmed the offer to NBC10.com on Tuesday , but "declined to comment further, saying he did not want to take attention away from the victims." A vigil will be held at the crash site at 6 p.m. ET on Tuesday evening, according to Syma Chowdhry of Philadelphia CBS affiliate KYW-TV . A preliminary hearing for Rosa and Crawford has been scheduled for Aug. 13. Hat-tip to For the Win . - - - - - - - Dan Devine is an editor for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at email@example.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YourManDevine Stay connected with Ball Don't Lie on Twitter @YahooBDL , "Like" BDL on Facebook and follow BDL's Tumblr for year-round NBA talk, jokes and more. - - - - - - - Dan Devine is an editor for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YourManDevine Stay connected with Ball Don't Lie on Twitter @YahooBDL , "Like" BDL on Facebook and follow BDL's Tumblr for year-round NBA talk, jokes and more.
- Sources: Grizzlies hire Ed Stefanski for front office (Yahoo Sports) July 29, 2014Former 76ers GM Ed Stefanski will join the Grizzlies as executive VP of player personnel
- Cavaliers Pick Wiggins at No. 1, Bringing N.B.A. Draft Speculation Full Circle June 27, 2014In the end, the top three selections were essentially what observers expected all along, with Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Joel Embiid picked by the Cavaliers, Bucks and 76ers.
- A Basketball Life of Harsh Reality, Starkly Revisited May 11, 2014A new documentary on Allen Iverson by the filmmaker Zatella Beatty explores the explosive, tough-as-nails former M.V.P.’s role as an iconoclast and cautionary tale.
- With a Spirited Garnett Back, the Healthy Nets Edge the 76ers April 6, 2014In their victory over the 76ers on Saturday, the Nets had their entire roster available for the first time since Feb. 27.
- With Rare Success, 76ers Fail to Break Record March 30, 2014Although the 76ers had tied the N.B.A. record for consecutive losses at 26, they won with flair on Saturday and failed to set a new mark in futility.
- 76ers’ 26th Straight Loss Ties Mark; Hawks’ Defeat Aids Knicks March 28, 2014Philadelphia equaled the N.B.A. record for consecutive losses by falling at Houston by 22 points.