New Jersey Nets Links of Interest
New Jersey Nets Official Homepage – The Official NBA.com Page for the New Jersey Nets
Quick searches for New Jersey Nets on Fantasy Basketball Guy.
New Jersey Nets News
- Nets Injury Update: Deron Williams out of his boot July 24, 2014The Brooklyn Nets are coming off a successful 2013-2014 season in which they won 44 games and upset the Toronto Raptors in the first round of the Eastern Conference Playoffs. The Nets were in the top half of the league in points allowed but struggled offensively, ranked 21st in scoring and 29th in assists. Guard Deron Williams can improve upon those numbers, if healthy, but he played in only 64 games this season and is coming off ankle surgery. The good news is that Williams is out of his boot and should resume basketball activities soon. Keith Allison via Wikimedia CommonsI reported back on May 28 that Williams underwent successful ankle surgery the day before. General manager Billy King announced at the time that Dr. Martin O'Malley performed successful surgery on Williams' ankles. Williams was expected to be on crutches for 4-6 weeks and then begin rehabilitation. He should be able to resume light basketball activities in August, with full activity in September.Ac...
- Jason Collins Weighs In On Tony Dungy’s Comments About Michael Sam July 23, 2014Jason Collins got an opportunity to talk about Tony Dungy’s comments on Michael Sam and Collins beautifully shot down Dungy’s concerns over Sam’s sexuality being a distraction. Collins made history by becoming the first active openly gay NBA player when he played for the Brooklyn Nets last season. Guess how much irreparable harm the signing of Jason Collins caused the Nets. None. Collins himself reiterated that all the hullabaloo died down within a couple of weeks: “There were games, even a month after I was signed that reporters didn’t even ask me any questions,” he said. “It will always go back to the sport because there are only so many ways they can write the article. There are only so many ways they can keep talking about LGBT issues when you’re a professional athlete because you’re a professional athlete first.” Despite there being relevant evidence (from this past year!) that the national sports media won’t tirelessly obsess over a person’s sexuality, Dungy has stated quite str
- Report: Jerry Stackhouse has Reached out to Lionel Hollins about Coaching Opportunity in Brooklyn July 23, 2014(Photo Credit via Matthew D. Britt) Two-time NBA All-Star Jerry Stackhouse is very eager to get into coaching. Rumors have circulated regarding his interest in coaching for Jason Kidd. Now, according to the New York Daily News, Stackhouse has reached out to Brooklyn Nets head coach Lionel Hollins. Stackhouse played eighteen NBA seasons, and has career averages of 16.9 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 3.3 assists. He retired as a Brooklyn Net after the 2012-2013 season. Apparently, his fondness of the organization is carrying over in his search for possible coaching opportunities, but he understands that Hollins is extremely cautious with each hire. “(Hollins) knows that my passion is to get into (coaching). But when you’ve fielded so many calls, and everybody wants to get in, I know it’s tough on
- Grading the Nets Free Agent Signings July 23, 2014The Brooklyn Nets were one of the league’s worst teams last season. They will continue to be among the league’s playoff contenders, but they also lost in the playoffs last season, and lost one of their key players in Paul Pierce in the off-season. They did make some re-signings of their own, and I will grade those here:Andrei KirilenkoGrade: B This wasn’t exactly a signing, as Kirilenko came back on a player option with the Nets. Brooklyn lost Paul Pierce this off-season in free agency, as he went to Washington to replace Trevor Ariza. The Pierce departure makes him coming back all the more important. Kirilenko is still a good defender, as he uses his length to his advantage, and can still shoot the basketball. He’s no Paul Pierce, but he is an upgrade in the sense that he doesn’t need the ball in his hands to play at his best, which should help Joe Johnson and Deron Williams.Alan AndersonGrade: C Being graded a C usually signifies average, and for an average player such as Anderson, he
- Assessing the Brooklyn Nets final 15-man roster July 23, 2014Photo: NBA/AP This morning, the Brooklyn Nets signed two of their second round picks that they purchased in the 2014 NBA Draft, inking Markel Brown and Cory Jefferson to rookie minimum contracts. With those two signings, the Nets officially have 15 players under contract, the maximum that an NBA team is allowed to employ. Since they will no longer be players on the free agent market barring some unforeseen roster move, lets assess what the Nets will look like heading into 2014-2015: Projected starting lineup: Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Mirza Teletovic, Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez The only spot really up in the air is the small forward position. I gave Teletovic the nod just from his experience with the team, and his ability to spread the floor. While the loss of Paul Pierce was certainly unanticipated, the Nets do have quite a few options to replace him minutes wise. Other than Teletovic, the Nets also signed Bojan Bogdanovich to a three year deal, who had been playing overseas since the Nets drafted him in
- Paul Pierce, Leaving Nets, Is Said to Reach Deal With Wizards July 14, 2014Pierce, acquired by the Nets in a costly deal last year, was set to walk away from Brooklyn, agreeing on what was believed to be a two-year, $11 million contract with Washington.
- With Eye on LeBron James, Cavaliers Trade Guard to Nets July 10, 2014The Nets reached a deal on Wednesday to acquire Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev from Cleveland in a three-team trade that included sending Marcus Thornton to Boston.
- Nets’ Low-Key Introduction Reflects New Coach July 8, 2014The Nets’ introduction of Lionel Hollins contrasted with the pageantry that accompanied last year’s introduction of Jason Kidd.
- The Bottom Line Should Decide July 7, 2014Free agency has helped the N.B.A. keep pace with global events like the World Cup and Wimbledon.
- Nets Quickly Hire Lionel Hollins as Their Coach July 3, 2014Hollins, a veteran coach who guided the Grizzlies to the Western Conference finals in 2013, was the Nets’ primary candidate after Jason Kidd left to join the Bucks.