The current Atlantic Division contains five teams: the Boston Celtics, the New Jersey Nets, the New York Knicks, the Philadelphia 76ers, and the Toronto Raptors. Although some of the teams have had storied pasts, in recent history this is generally considered one of the weakest divisions in the NBA. Currently the New Jersey Nets are the best team in the division with the Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers close to or just barely making the playoffs year after year.
Among the well-known players playing in this division are
- Paul Pierce of the Celtics,
- Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, and Richard Jefferson of the Nets,
- Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and 2006 slam dunk champion Nate Robinson of the Knicks,
- Andre Igoudala of the 76ers, and
- Chris Bosh of the Toronto Raptors